- Chinese New Year
- Spring Festival
- Lunar New Year
- Chinese New Year is a major holiday in China.
- The most important festival for Chinese
- Chinese New Year is the biggest celebration in China.
- Chinese New Year is celebrated according to the Lunar Calendar as opposed to the Solar Calendar. Chinese New Year usually lies between late January and early February.
- Chinese New Year is the Chinese festival that celebrates the beginning of a new year on the traditional Chinese calendar.
- The full celebration lasts 15 days.
- People often take 7 days off work and children get a whole month off school.
- In Chinese folklore, there's a monster or evil spirit called "Nian".
- Nian is afraid of the color red and fireworks.
- People do things to keep the evil spirit away.
- Families set off fireworks to ward off evil spirits and celebrate the coming of the new year.
- Red will scare away evil spirits and bad fortune.
- 大扫除 cleaning. clean house to sweep away any ill-fortune and make way for incoming good luck.
- 办年货: shopping for new year's goods
- 做传统食物: cooking traditional food
- 装饰: decorate windows and doors with red paper-cuts and couplets.
- 春联: spring couplets, red couplets
- 中国结: Chinese knots
- 过年: "过"翻译成celebrate. celebrate Chinese New Year.
- 穿新衣: wear new clothes. the outfits usually contain the color red.
- 大年三十: Chinese New Year's Eve.
- 年夜饭: reunion dinner. Family members get together for a reunion dinner.
- 春晚: CCTV New Year's Gala / New Year's Gala / Spring Festival Gala.
- 红包, 压岁钱: give money in red envelopes; lucky money envelopes; give some money to family members in a red envelope.
- 送祝福: wish each other good luck and prosperity.
- 恭喜发财: May you be prosperous.
- 舞狮子: lion dance
- 舞龙: dragon dance
- 踩高跷: walk on stilts
- 爆竹: firecrackers
- 烟花: fireworks. set off fireworks
- 庙会: temple fair; temple gatherings
- 传统食物: traditional dishes
- 饺子: dumplings
- 元宵: rice dumplings
- 汤圆: sweet rice ball
- 长寿面: longevity noodles
- fish: eat but do not finish: may there be surplus every year -> may there be fish every year.
- 元宵节: Lantern Festival
- It marks the final day of the traditional Chinese New Year celebrations
- During the Lantern Festival, children go out at night carrying paper lanterns and solve riddles on the lanterns
- 和面: mix up the dough; knead the dough
- 剁肉: mince the meat
- 擀皮: roll out the wrappers; make the wrappings
- 包馅儿: fill wrappers; put the fillings in the middle of wrapping and press the wrapping tight; pinch the wrappers together into the desired shape.
- 煮饺子: boiling the dumplings.
- 做饺子: make dumplings (嫌上面这些太麻烦了就直接这样说吧, 没啥不好的).
zodiac: 星座. Chinese zodiac: 生肖.
- What's your Chinese zodiac/animal sign?
- What's your animal zodiac?
- What Chinese zodiac/animal sign were you born under?
- I was born in/under the year of the snake.
- My zodiac animal is Rooster.
- My animal zodiac is mouse.
- My animal sign is mouse.
- 1 Rat(不能用mouse)
- 2 Ox(不能用cow)
- 3-7: Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse
- 8 Goat/Sheep
- 9 Monkey
- 10 Rooster(不能用chicken)
- 11-12 Dog, Pig